Free Energy Advice
Our community energy champions offer free, impartial advice and support around energy use in the home. You can contact us to arrange a 1:1 or feel free to pop along to one of our drop-in sessions where we can offer:
- Energy Bill Health-Checks
- Help with reducing energy usage in the home
- Free energy reducing kits and insulation materials for the home
- Checking eligibility for the warm home discount and energy related financial support
- Help with approaching suppliers regarding arrears, direct debits and payment plans
- Advice on eco heating upgrades, renewables and retrofitting
Drop-in Surgeries for Energy Advice:
Lewes Town Hall:
Thursday 16th Nov 10am-12pm
Thursday 30th Nov 10am-12pm
Thursday 14th Dec 10am-12pm
Thursday 11th Jan 10am-12pm
Thursday 25th Jan 10am-12pm
36-38 High Street, Newhaven, BN9 9PD
Energy saving tips, advice and signposting:
A complete guide to retrofitting your home – Home Action Plan
Ways to keep out the cold if you can’t afford to turn your heating up – advice leaflet from the Centre of Sustainable Energy
Signposting to energy financial benefits and debt advice through Citizens Advice
Advice on reducing bills and understanding running costs of household appliances – OVESCO Electricity Costs Factsheet
- List of local energy installers
- Find a Yougen recommended installer here
- FAQs re installing renewables on your home
- See if you can access Lad funding grant scheme here
- Find out more about LAD funding to make houses energy efficient, for householders and installers
- Tools & guidance to tackle overheating in homes & retrofit,
- Can you get a grant for renewable heating? Find out about the boiler upgrade scheme
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment
or freephone 0800 458 9045
For more useful information on how to retrofit your home
Meet Our Energy Champions
After a career in hospitality management I became interested in the science of climate change and the world’s reliance on fossil fuels. I started to find out more about sustainable energy and what we need to do to ensure our homes, both existing and new build, reduce their carbon footprints.
In 2021, as a member of Lewes Climate Hub, I volunteered with Ovesco and was trained to help people with their energy bill and energy usage queries. Having volunteered for a year, in January 2023 I started working for Ovesco as an Energy Champion. In my spare time I enjoy Morris dancing with 2 different groups.
I’ve been with OVESCO since 2015, primarily helping to deliver energy advice centres across East and West Sussex. Working with other community interest groups, organisations and authorities to provide up to date, relevant information.
I’m passionate about helping people across the entire community become more aware of what they can do personally to improve their situation, taking personal steps to save energy at home and through that, reduce our overall impact.
My previous work life is in small and medium business management, retail, transport, customer service and corporate HR.
I live in Barcombe and I’ve been in Sussex for 27 years. I’m a dad with three mainly grown-up children and my interests in the world outside work include, music, cooking and food, walking especially on The Downs and by the sea, reading and anything transport, preferably with 4 or more wheels, sometimes with wings attached too.